The Health Consumers’ Council’s purpose is to:
1. increase the capacity of all people to influence the future direction of health care
- Our Engagement Program provides training and other support to ensure people can have a say in health policy, planning and review.
- Our Culture and Diversity Coordinator ensures that people from a non-English speaking background are considered in health service planning.
- We also have an Aboriginal Engagement Coordinator who focuses on ensuring Aboriginal communities are able to have their say and participate in health service reform.
- We run regular events and workshops, including Patient Experience Week events, and Health Consumer Excellence Awards.
- We also provide systemic advocacy for the WA Community by participating on a large range of committees and working groups to ensure the consumer voice is heard at the highest level. Have a look at our Issues and our Policy and Reform pages to see what we are currently working on.
2. and to make informed choices.
- We provide an Individual Advocacy Service during office hours Monday to Friday to help you navigate our health system.
- In some instances we may be able to provide you with enough information to link with the right service, or we can assist you with our flexible, transaction-focused practical independent advocacy service. At times there can be a wait for assistance up to four weeks.
- We also provide Self-Advocacy Resources to assist you in resolving your issue.
We are keenly aware of the difficulties facing people outside Perth and have a toll-free number for country callers: 1800-620-780.