We offer you a range of different workshops to support you in your journey to becoming an effective, engaged consumer representative. We also support health care staff through our workshops to develop skills, awareness and strategies for engaging with health consumers. Some of our workshops provide points towards active learning hours for nursing staff.
Below, you’ll find details of Health Consumers’ Council upcoming events, plus regular events for health consumers, carers and community members as well as healthcare service providers:
- Networking for consumers
- Consumer Representative Training
- for individual consumer representatives (Introduction to & Consumer Leadership Academy)
- for healthcare organisations’ consumer representatives (CACs & CAGs)
- Acknowledgement of Country workshops
- Cultural Diversity
- Diversity Dialogues
- Training for health service staff
- Supporting Cultural Diversity in Healthcare
- Workshops on partnering and engagement with consumers – for health service staff
We also keep a list of current consumer, carer and community consultations – you can find out more about these on our Systemic Advocacy “Policy/Consultation Submissions & Partnerships” web page.
- HCC 2023 Annual General Meeting – Executive Director Clare Mullen will host a panel discussion with health and consumer leader on “The shifting landscape of consumer and community involvement: what lies ahead?”.
- This is a hybrid event, you can join us in person in Mount Lawley, or online via Zoom
- Tuesday 28 November, 4:30-6:30pm
- Register here
- Diversity Dialogue: Exploring challenges around cancer diagnosis and treatment in CaLD communities – a panel discussion on the some of the challenges faced by people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds in Western Australia as they navigate diagnoses, treatment and living with cancer. The focus will be on lived experience and what we can learn from this.
- Online via Zoom
- Tuesday 12 December, 10:00-11:30am
- Register here
- Acknowledging Country Workshop – developed to support people to think about, design and confidently deliver a meaningful Acknowledgment.
- Online via Zoom, join us from anywhere in the country
- More dates will be announced in 2024
- In 2024, HCC will be celebrating out 30th Anniversary! We’re planning a range of activities to celebrate across the year and we’d like your input. You can share your memories or suggestions via a short survey. If you’d like to be kept up-to-date with our plans, please sign up here and we’ll send you occasional emails about ways you can be involved.
Networking for consumers
Find out more about this network here.
Our next event will be in early 2024 – more details will be available in the new year.
Click here to sign up to our mailing list to be kept informed.
Consumer Representative Training
For more information about the content of this session – see here. These sessions are run approximately every 6 months.
The next session will be held in 2024, more information available will be available in the new year.
- If you have any questions about these sessions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Consumer Leadership Academy (previously Advanced Consumer Representation Training)
The next Consumer Leadership Academy learning session will be held in 2024. Stay tuned for all the details!
- If you have any questions about the Consumer Leadership Academy, please email email@example.com
The Diversity Dialogues seminar series has been developed by HCC for consumers and health service providers to explore ways to develop hospital services and patient care strategies that respond to cultural diversity. Diversity Dialogues comprise a panel discussion where the panelists are from a range of cultural backgrounds, who share their knowledge and experiences around culturally aware practice, building culturally inclusive services and discussing the importance of cultural awareness in best practice. More information about Diversity Dialogues can be found here.
The next session will be held on 12 December, Register here.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to our mailing list for future events.
Training for health service staff
Western Australia enjoys one of the most culturally diverse populations in Australia. To assist healthcare workers and providers to deliver services that are equitable, Health Consumers’ Council has developed this workshop to enable health workers to provide culturally inclusive services that support patient-centered care. The workshop will provide participants with the opportunity to deliver a culturally competent service. Workshop duration – 3 hours.
Upcoming 2023 sessions:
Monday 6 November 2023 – in-person workshop in Mount Lawley, $125 for anyone who works in health.
Workshops on partnering and engagement with consumers – for health service staff
If you would like us to present to a group of staff in your health services, please contact email@example.com
There may be a fee for this.
Watch the recordings
Introduction to using Zoom and online meetings
In light of social distancing measures , and the need for people to take part in online meetings, we ran a couple of workshops in 2020 to introduce consumer representatives to some of the features of online meetings, and the Zoom platform in particular.
You can access the recordings of those sessions here, as well as the slides that were used.
- Overview of online meetings and an introduction to Zoom
- Overview of hosting online meetings using Zoom
Consumer, carer, community and family representative drop-in sessions
While WA was under physical distancing restrictions, we heard that opportunities for health consumer, carer, community and family representatives to connect with each other, with the health system and with organisations like us were even more important.
So we hosted a regular “drop-in” session. See below for links to recording of these sessions.
Previous drop-in sessions
- Date: Friday 12 June 2022
- Theme: How consumer input helped shape the WA Healthy Weight Action Plan and what comes next
- Watch the recording (approx 38 mins) https://youtu.be/jihBv_QeoTU
- View the slides WA Healthy Weight Action Plan 2019 – 2024
- Date: Friday 29 May 2022
- Theme: Engaging consumers in a conversation about reducing unnecessary tests, treatments and procedures – we’ll hear from the team at the Choosing Wisely program
- Watch the recording (approx. 1h15m) https://youtu.be/wNQee63N3ds and view the slides
- Date: Friday 15 May 2022
- Theme: Engaging community members in Advance Care Planning and National Palliative Care Week
- Watch the recording (1h 15m) https://youtu.be/5fKOLobaWqg
- Date: Friday 1 May
- Theme: Consumer, carer, family and community engagement in primary care
- Watch the recording (32 mins) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynJGYFNiZOw
- Date: Friday 17 April 2022
- Theme: Consumer and community involvement in COVID-19 medical research
- Watch the recording (25 mins) https://youtu.be/X0usiIGQo3U and view the slides https://www.hconc.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/CCHRN-slides-HCC-Consumer-Rep-Drop-in-presentation-200417.pdf