We offer you a range of different workshops to support you in your journey to becoming an effective, engaged consumer representative. We also support health care staff through our workshops to develop skills, awareness and strategies for engaging with health consumers. Some of our workshops provide points towards active learning hours for nursing staff. All our current workshops are listed below, you can click on the workshop title for more information about each session. As of June 2020, we are still planning to run these sessions on these dates. We may be offering these sessions in a virtual (online) format.
Find out more about this network here. Our next event is on Monday 7 December.
For more information about the content of this session – see here. The next training will take place in the first three months of 2021.
If you have any questions about these sessions please email email@example.com
This session is for consumer reps with at least 6 months experience on a working group, committee or Board. For more information about the content of this session see here. We recommend that people do not attend the Intro and the Advanced session in the same month. These sessions run approximately every 6 months.
The next training will take place in the first three months of 2021. If you have any questions about these sessions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The next forum will be in 2021.
To express your interest in the next forum, or to talk to us about running one at your site, get in touch
- Thursday 10 December 2020, 10.00am – 1.00pm (WA Health staff prioritised). Book here.
We can also run this workshop at your service on a fee for service basis. To talk to us about running a session at your site or for any questions about these sessions get in touch.
Empowering health consumers with disabilities
Health Consumers’ Council and People With disabilities WA ran a series of workshops for people with disabilities to support them to have a positive experience in the health system in 2019. These sessions have now finished but to express your interest in future sessions on this topic please get in touch.
There are a series of brochures that were developed to accompany these workshops – you can find there here
Introduction to using Zoom and online meetings
In light of social distancing measures, and the need for people to take part in online meetings, we ran a couple of workshops to introduce consumer representatives to some of the features of online meetings, and the Zoom platform in particular.
You can access the recordings of those sessions here, as well as the slides that were used.
- Overview of online meetings and an introduction to Zoom
- Overview of hosting online meetings using Zoom
Consumer, carer, community and family representative drop-in sessions
While WA was under physical distancing restrictions, we heard that opportunities for health consumer, carer, community and family representatives to connect with each other, with the health system and with organisations like us were even more important.
So we hosted a regular “drop-in” session. See below for links to recording of these sessions.
Previous drop-in sessions
- Date: Friday 12 June
- Theme: How consumer input helped shape the WA Healthy Weight Action Plan and what comes next
- Watch the recording (approx 38 mins) https://youtu.be/jihBv_QeoTU
- View the slides WA Healthy Weight Action Plan 2019 – 2024
- Date: Friday 29 May
- Theme: Engaging consumers in a conversation about reducing unnecessary tests, treatments and procedures – we’ll hear from the team at the Choosing Wisely program
- Watch the recording (approx. 1h15m) https://youtu.be/wNQee63N3ds and view the slides
- Date: Friday 15 May
- Theme: Engaging community members in Advance Care Planning and National Palliative Care Week
- Watch the recording (1h 15m) https://youtu.be/5fKOLobaWqg
- Date: Friday 1 May
- Theme: Consumer, carer, family and community engagement in primary care
- Watch the recording (32 mins) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynJGYFNiZOw
- Date: Friday 17 April
- Theme: Consumer and community involvement in COVID-19 medical research
- Watch the recording (25 mins) https://youtu.be/X0usiIGQo3U and view the slides https://www.hconc.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/CCHRN-slides-HCC-Consumer-Rep-Drop-in-presentation-200417.pdf