Useful Links For Individual Advocacy

How to make a complaint to a hospital 

You can either phone or write to the individual hospital or health service.  

You may also find these resources useful: 

  1. Click here to download a Sample Complaint letter
  2. Click here to download a step by step guide to writing a complaint

Once you have written your complaint letter, you can send it directly to the health service. You can find the address to send the letter to below. If you need assistance with your complaint letter, you can contact a Health Consumers’ Council Advocate.   

Armadale Hospital 

Bentley Hospital 

Fiona Stanley Hospital 

Fremantle Hospital 

Joondalup Health Campus 

King Edward Memorial Hospital 

Osborne Park Hospital 

Perth Children’s Hospital 

Rockingham Peel Group  

Royal Perth Hospital 

Sir Charles Gardiner Hospital 

St John Of God (ALL HOSPITALS)  or

WA Country Health Services (WACHS)

To learn more about complaints in the public system, you can download the Complaints Management Policy here.

How to apply for your medical records  

WA Public Health records 

The Freedom of Information Act (FOI) gives you the right to access your WA Health medical records.  

There are three ways you can request your medical records: 

  1. Download an application form from the hospitals’ website and submit it to the hospital 
  2. Call the hospital and ask the FOI Department to send an application form to you  
  3. Write a letter to apply for your records and send it to the hospitals’ FOI Department  

You can download a sample FOI request letter here.

Private Health records 

Records held by privately operated health services (such as a GP, dental clinic or private hospital) come under the Commonwealth Privacy Act.  

To access your records you will need to contact the health service and ask them what their procedure is. You will most likely need to put your request in writing and send it to them – you can download a sample letter requesting records here.

You can find out more about accessing health records at the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner

Have you already complained to a hospital and feel dissatisfied with the response?  

The Health and Disability Services Complaints Office (HADSCO) may be able to help you.

Is your complaint about an individual health professional such as a nurse, doctor, psychologist or physiotherapist?  

The Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) may investigate your issue 

Are you seeking advocacy for a friend or family member with mental health challenges?

The HelpingMinds Advocacy team can help you with understanding your rights, complaints, referrals, information and resources, and having your voice heard when decisions are being made about a person you care for.

Support for people who have developmental disability and complex needs

Development Disability WA provides independent information, advocacy, education and support for people with intellectual and other developmental disability, their families and the people who support them.

Help for older Western Australians to safeguard their rights

Seniors Rights and Advocacy Service provides legal assistance to safeguard and advocate for the rights of older people in WA. They can provide advice on Powers of Attorney, Enduring Powers of Attorney, Enduring Powers of Guardianship, Advanced Health Directives and Wills.

Share your health care experience with Care Opinion 

At the Care Opinion website you can post anonymously about your experience and the people in the health services who can make a difference will be notified. You can post about positive or negative experiences.  

If you need help to tell your story, you can call Care Opinion on 1300 662 996. 

Community Support Services Directory 

RUAH have produced a guide to community support services in WA, including concessions and others ideas on how to keep costs down.  

Making a complaint or compliment about Health Consumers’ Council 

If you’d like to provide feedback about Health Consumers’ Council you can email us on or call us on 9221 3422.